Bed and Breakfasts: Room and Board on the Road
According to the Professional Association of Innkeepers International, there were more than 20,000 bed and breakfasts operating in the United States in 2006. So you're hardly alone in thinking that a bed and breakfast might be a nice alternative to a bland hotel or roadside tourist trap. Whether you're planning a couples getaway, a family vacation, a trip for your boss, or a quick stop en route to a final destination, the Web sites we've found will help you discover the possibilities.
A visit to a bed and breakfast offers a more intimate type of lodging, with uniquely decorated ... read more »
A B&B's Web site is not necessarily the best indication of its quality or character, but there ... read more »
Each U.S. state has dozens (sometimes hundreds) of bed-and-breakfasts from which to choose. Below are Web sites devoted to every corner of the country, from southern hospitality to midwest charm, to the East and West coasts.
- Many Web sites with state-by-state B&B listings allow you to click on a state and then narrow your search by region. If you're not sure what region of a particular state interests you, click on the regions to see the cities in that area.
- It is sometimes more difficult to find B&Bs in urban areas. If you are staying in a place like Los Angeles or New York, try searching in the surrounding suburbs for accommodations.
- Don't forget about Alaska and Hawaii! Both states have beautiful and scenic lodging. Check out The Choice Bed & Breakfast Guide Web site in this section's Picks for a well-rounded list.
- For help finding historic B&Bs in your home state, check out the "What if I want to stay at a historic bed and breakfast?" section of this guide.
- If a travel site offers online quotes or price lists without making you commit to a reservation, take advantage. The cost of living varies greatly in the United States. One night at a B&B in Ohio may be a third of the cost for one night's stay in California.
For state-by-state B&B finders ...
The Choice Bed & Breakfast Guide
is a polished and pleasing B&B guide that is organized by two types of searches: the "City Search" and a "Region Search" that lets you choose your area on a U.S. map.
The Professional Association of Innkeepers International
provides a Web site with a state-by-state listing of B&Bs. The innkeeper must be a member of the PAII to be listed on the site, so this is not the largest group of available B&Bs but it does list many of the highest quality B&Bs in the United States.
Bed and Breakfast Explorer
allows visitors to search by state, and then narrow the search by city and region. Looking for some new ideas on where to go? This site is great for the "Featured Inns" section on the main page. Read up on one of their recommended B&Bs and you just might be inspired to head down a new path.
Bed and Breakfast List
allows a visitor to quickly and easily find a long list of bed and breakfasts in any U.S. state. It also links directly to each B&B's individual Web site.
has a surprise for B&B lovers: a long and detailed list of North American foodie-endorsed bed and breakfasts. This site goes the extra mile by listing the Web site, physical address, and innkeeper's contact info for each B&B.
For those bigger or more-populated states ..
California Bed and Breakfast
helps to navigate the busy roads of our mammoth West Coast wonder. From Crescent City to San Diego, this site covers accommodations from the North Coast to the South Coast and everything in between.
Hospitality Accommodations of Texas
, or HAT, is a statewide organization that inspects and approves B&Bs, inns, hotels, guesthouses, and guest ranches. Search the main page of HAT by region or city to find "the finest" Texas has to offer.
New York Visitors Network
features a special section for finding B&Bs throughout the vast and diverse state of New York. Whether you're looking to stay in the boroughs of New York City or the backwoods of Upstate, this site has you covered.
Bed and breakfasts have European roots, but are found all over the world. Peruse the sites in this ... read more »
While many innkeepers try to create a traditional ambiance and old world charm, authentic B&Bs ... read more »
Bed and breakfasts are notorious for their scrumptious AM offerings, and our Picks will point you ... read more »
If you can't leave home without your dog, cat, oxygen tank, or three screaming children, don't ... read more »
Most Recent Guides