Beijing Olympics 2008
See today's winners and get athlete profiles.
In this section are sites offering the most comprehensive coverage of the Beijing Games, including official organizations, credible publications and sports networks. By the opening ceremony, you’ll be well-versed in current and archived Olympic news.
- For a history of the Olympic games and for lists and rules of Olympic Sports, see our Web Guide to the Olympics.
- In the United States, NBC and USA are the only licensed television networks to be covering the Beijing Games. NBC will be streaming many segments of Beijing events live on NBCOlympics.com and will keep these high-quality videos on the site throughout the Games.
- For breaking Olympic news, television networks on the Web such as NBC and ESPN often utilize material from outside sources like the Associated Press. More detailed stories and interviews are usually conducted by the network staff.
The Beijing Olympics is a worldwide event, and the Web can help you participate in a spirited global discussion of the Games by way of blogs and forums. Visit the sites below to question other fans, tell them what you think and absorb what they have to say about the Olympics.
- Read several of a blogger’s posts and his or her bio to get a better sense of their personality and credibility. You’ll likely engage in more worthwhile discussions this way.
- The Beijing Games are an opportunity to learn more about the host country, so a few of the blogs we’ve selected focus on Beijing or China rather than the Olympics specifically. They provide useful cultural information and insights.
- The IOC has decided to allow athletes to blog from the Olympic Games in Beijing, as long as restrictions are followed. The issue was largely debated because the organization fears a reality-show atmosphere resulting from blogs. These athlete blogs will provide coverage from a unique angle. The BBC discussed the issue in February 2008.
- For more information on finding blogs, and even creating your own, see our findingDulcinea Blogs Web Guide.