The Kentucky Derby: “The Fastest Two Minutes in Sports”
On the first Saturday of May, all eyes turn to Churchill Downs racetrack for the Kentucky Derby, the first jewel of horse racing’s Triple Crown. This guide prepares you for Kentucky Derby Day, linking to best sources for race history and traditions, race coverage, travel advice and party-throwing tips, as well as where to bet the Kentucky Derby.
Held annually since 1875, the Kentucky Derby is rich in history and colorful tradition. This ... read more »
Whether you're an experienced handicapper or a casual fan just trying to learn who's running this ... read more »
Find out how and where to bet on the Derby and other races on Saturday.
- For an overview on how to wager on horse racing, view TVG’s “Learn To Play” instructional video.
- Read findingDulcinea’s “How to Pick the Winner of the Kentucky Derby” for a tutorial on how to handicap the Derby.
- Most racetracks that are open for live racing, and most off-track betting outlets, in the U.S. offer betting on the Kentucky Derby. The NTRA provides a calendar of racing at all U.S. tracks.
- The four online wagering providers listed below are the most reliable sites that permit same-day funding of a new account and operate on a national scale. There are other legitimate providers, such as Autotote and ones associated with racetracks, but most do not allow same-day funding of a new account. Be wary of any other operator; they may be located offshore and may not be legally permitted to accept wagers from U.S. residents.
- Of the four sites listed below, only TwinSpires offer wagering to residents of all 50 states.
- With New York City OTB closing this year, many are wondering where to bet the Kentucky Derby in New York City. The only places to make a legal bet on the Kentucky Derby in or near New York City are at Aqueduct Racetrack and Belmont Park, at Meadowlands Racetrack in Secaucus, N.J., or via the online wagering outlets listed below.
The Kentucky Derby is an all-day party for everyone, from the big shots in Millionaire's Row to the ... read more »