Maybe you've finally run out of room in the garage and need to sell a few things, or you want to ... read more »
Chances are that someone you know has been bragging about his latest eBay purchase or sale. If you're aching to get rid of your daughter's tricycle now that she's in college—and looking for extra cash to foot her tuition bill, too—then it might be time for you to jump on the online auction bandwagon. Or maybe your business can reach a whole new customer base by selling merchandise at auction; many small businesses supplement sales by opening an eBay store. Explore the possibilities and enjoy the returns.
- Even if you have prior experience as an auction seller, you may want to check out eBay University. Not only can you learn about "Selling Basics," but you can also enroll in "Beyond the Basics of Selling."
- Before you start selling through online auctions, you'll want to open a personal Paypal account at https://www.paypal.com/. For nominal fees, Paypal makes it easy and convenient for people to pay you, has systems in place to protect sellers, and will even track shipments.
- For many people, selling on eBay is becoming a secondary, or in some cases primary, source of income. To read about today's fastest-growing business venture, check out the Start Up Journal.
- If you’re ready to get serious about selling on eBay or even if you’re intrigued by the idea, check out Lynn Dralle’s book, The 100 Best Things I’ve Sold On eBay. Dralle started out on eBay trying to boost lagging sales at her grandmother’s antique store. Her book is a collection of her experiences selling as well as sentimental anecdotes about the items themselves. You can learn more about the book at Amazon.
- eBay may be the biggest auction site, but it’s hardly the only one. If you’re selling one specific type of merchandise, you might be better off with one of the numerous specialized auction sites out there. There are auction sites devoted entirely to model trains, to clothing, to sports memorabilia—you name it. To locate a specialized site, use a search engine and type in, “Antique Teacups Auction,” and peruse the findings.
- For information about online art auctions, visit the FindingDulcinea Fine Arts guide.
If you’re trying to sell an item or service but you don’t have the time or patience for ... read more »
If you're looking for something a little more low-key than an auction but a little more focused ... read more »