Vietnamese Food and Cuisine
Let the Web help you learn about and enjoy all types of Vietnamese food. Discover the spices needed to create traditional dishes like pho (soup), nuoc mam (fish sauce) and banh chung (rice cakes). This Vietnamese Food and Cuisine Web Guide offers a brief description of Vietnamese food culture, as well as recipes and information on locating hard-to-find Vietnamese ingredients.
Get an overview of Vietnamese cooking, including the cultural significance of traditional Vietnamese food and drink, and how meals are prepared and served.
- To learn about traditional Vietnamese dining customs, read this description of eating and drinking in Vietnam provided by Haivenu, a travel resource.
- Vietnamese sandwiches known as banh mi are becoming increasingly popular in America; a New York Times article explores the banh mi as New York’s next favorite hero (sandwich, that is).
Preparing Vietnamese food recipes at home has never been easier. Get the basics of Vietnamese cooking, with recipes that highlight the techniques and flavors specific to Vietnamese cuisine.
- Noodlepie, a Vietnamese food and news blog, features videos of Vietnamese food preparation. Many of the clips are in Vietnamese, but this is a great chance to watch authentic Vietnamese cooks in the kitchen.
- For more recipes, try “Quick & Easy Vietnamese: 75 Everyday Recipes” by Nancie McDermott.
- If you encounter a recipe that uses the metric system, or are missing an ingredient and need a substitution suggestion, use this food conversions and substitutions list.
Your local grocery store may not carry sticky rice, fish sauce or chili peppers, but buying Vietnamese groceries is easy with help from the Web.
- Health food stores often carry basic ethnic food ingredients, and may have the Vietnamese groceries you need.
- If you’re looking for a local Vietnamese grocer, this directory of Asian food stores can help you find a brick-and-mortar shop that sells Vietnamese products. (Be advised that some links may be outdated.)
- If you want to get Vietnamese food delivery, visit findingDulcinea’s Restaurants Web Guide, and check out the “Food Delivery” section to locate a Vietnamese restaurant in your area.