Anyone who’s played a video game knows they can be addictive, and this guide will help you support your habit. Read about new games and consoles, get reviews and cheat codes, connect to other enthusiasts via blogs and forums, find arcades and play games for free online.
The video game industry is a booming one, and there are thousands of sites devoted to the topic. The following links will help you navigate the Web’s many sources of video game information. You’ll be able to locate general information about the latest games, hints and cheat codes, and blogs and forums.
- Although you’ll find some cheat codes in the sites below, delve into the “Tips, Hints and Cheat codes for Video Games” section for more comprehensive assistance.
- The picks below offer some reviews of video games; if you want to read reviews of consoles and systems, see the following section of this guide, “Video Game and Console Reviews.”
For news and forums about video games …
is a good news source for gamers. The site’s contributors are gamers, journalists and industry professionals. There’s a blog and forum on the site, featured game news and a frequently updated list of the hottest games.
’s copious videogame coverage is designed to make you an expert. Read news
about developments in game and console technology; refine your search by selecting categories from the bar at the top. Use the features
to enhance your understanding and boost your skill for specific games and programs. The site also has cheat codes
is chock full of information about video games. Scroll down to “Recently Released” and “Upcoming Releases” for information about new and future games. There’s also a section called “Top Game Help” on the lower right of the page where you can get hints and tips for various games.
There are four major video game systems that dominate the market: Nintendo’s Wii, Microsoft’s Xbox 360, Sony’s Playstation 3 and the Nintendo DS Lite. Each system and console has its pros and cons, and each allows you to play different types of games. Which one’s the best? It’s really a matter of opinion. This section of the guide will link you to a number of points of view.
- Compare prices online to get the best deal! The best prices are not usually at the manufacturer’s Web sites; instead, head to more standard online retail stores for deals on bundles and financing.
- Some game systems are more suited to kids and less advanced players, while others are more suited to hardcore gamers who want amazing graphics.
has great descriptions and reviews of some of the major game systems and consoles available today. Use the “Comparison Chart
” to compare and contrast the consoles in four categories. Click on the “Where to Buy” links for long lists of stores (with prices) that sell the consoles.
has an easily searched list of console reviews that include review date, editorial rating and current cost.
Buying and renting video games online is very easy and convenient to do; you no longer have to hop in your car and drive to the local Blockbuster or video game outlet store. Some sites allow you to rent three or more games for as little as $9 per month!
- You’ll find reviews of video games in the previous section of the guide, “Video Game and Console Reviews.”
To buy games online…
sells games for all consoles but has an especially comprehensive selection of computer games. The site’s homepage lists current prices for top-selling games on a variety of consoles.
operates stores all over the country under the names GameStop, EB Games and Electronics Boutique. Browse for both new and used video games using the console or genre tabs at the top of the page. Search by ESRB (maturity ratings) with the “Shop By ESRB” box on the left. Scroll down to find new releases, top sellers and upcoming releases, with links to purchase or preorder.
To rent video games online…
is an easy-to-use site. Game systems are listed as tabs on the top: simply click on them to see the games available for each system. Or browse the popular games for each system featured on the homepage.
allows you to rent video games as well as trade in your old ones for new ones. Search for games by title, publisher or genre at the top, or click on a game system name. Popular games are listed on the homepage.
Sometimes, beating a video game requires a little help! Luckily, the Internet has a wealth of sites devoted to providing gamers with tips, hints and cheat codes for almost every game imaginable. If you’re ever really stuck, you can be almost certain that a solution exists online.
- A “walkthrough” is a document that literally walks you through each part of the game; for example, it tells you where to go and what to do. These are great online resources for gamers who get stuck on a particular aspect of a game.
is a well-organized and user-friendly site. “Most Popular Cheats” and “Most Popular Walkthroughs” are posted on the homepage. Scroll down to find forum topics.
lists new user-submitted PC and console cheats in the middle of its homepage. Look for cheats organized by console on tabs near the top of the page.
allows users to both read and contribute to hints and cheats. Find “Top 10 FAQ Pages” and “Top 10 Wanted FAQs” on the site homepage. GameFAQs is a sister site of GameSpot, listed in the first section of the guide.
Video game arcades are a haven for those who miss those “old-fashioned” games of the 1980s and early 1990s. Arcades are slowly becoming a thing of the past but luckily, the Internet has some sites where devoted fans of video arcades and arcade games report sightings of their old favorites.
- Many of these types of sites allow users to update the information with their own findings.
- Before you visit an arcade, check to see what games they have so that you’re not disappointed when you get there; many of the older arcade games are quickly disappearing.
To find an arcade or an arcade game …
is an online arcade directory with listings from all over the United States.
Classic Arcade Game Locations
has a self-explanatory site name. Its directory is user-generated, so if you find a new location with classic arcade games, be sure to add it to the list. The directory lists both arcades and smaller spots, such as pizza parlors, where specific arcade games can be found.
There are dozens upon dozens of sites that offer free online video games. Most of these free games are nowhere near as complex as the ones you buy for consoles, but that doesn’t mean they’re any less fun, either. Free online video games are a great alternative for those who don’t want to pay the $30–$70 price tag for console video games.
- Be wary of sites that require you to pay for a subscription after a certain amount of time; there are plenty of sites that offer truly free games.
- In many cases, you have to download the games in order to play them. Make sure your computer has enough memory.
Free Online Games
claims to be the Web’s largest collection of free online games. Games are organized by type, and there’s a list of the most popular games on the left of the homepage.
looks about as old as the arcade games you’ll find listed on the homepage, but why complain when you can play Space Invaders on your own computer?
Most Recent Guides