Cars: Buy, Sell, Repair, Maintain and Learn about Autos
Everyone from the greasiest gearhead to the automotive layman will benefit from the Web's easy-to-use resources on cars. Research tools and classified listings abound for the car buyer: for the eager reader, breaking automotive news, commentary, and perspective via magazines and blogs, will keep you entertained and informed. Learn about these resources and more in the findingDulcinea Car Guide.
Next time you're in the market for a new car, treat the Web as your definitive research source. ... read more »
The Web is a vast automotive marketplace. Surfing online is the equivalent of strolling into a car lot stocked with millions of new and used vehicles of all models, from virtually every decade of automotive innovation. These exhaustive listings will meet the needs of all car buyers, from teenagers looking for wheels on the cheap to serious vintage car fanatics searching for more rare cars to buy. For those who seek to sell a car opportunities abound.
- The Web's largest auto-markets provide very similar services. Most list new cars and allow sellers to buy classified ads for used cars. They offer a variety of research features, like access to reviews and Kelley Blue Book values, and they almost unanimously claim to be the "Web's #1 Resource."
- Most sites charge sellers a fee for taking out a classified ad. Fees vary greatly in size and structure, with some coming as flat rates and others that must be paid weekly for as long as the listing is up.
- Car-makers’ Web sites, which can be found easily via any search engine (or usually by adding a “.com” to the company’s name), can be a useful stop in your auto search. These sites typically have dealer locaters, certified pre-owned car-finders, warranty information, lease plans, and pricing information. Many have a "build your ideal car" feature that allows you to customize every detail of a car, from model type and color to upholstery and dashboard paneling.
- Not sure how much car you can afford? There are a slew of car-loan payment calculators on the Net. Two of these can be found at Edmunds and Cars.com. For more information on what these sites have to offer, see their evaluations below.
- An answer to the age-old question, "To lease, or not to lease?" can be found at LeaseGuide.com. This site is a one-stop shop for all of your lease-related queries. Check out the "Lease Guide" to get started.
is a used car marketplace with a massive listing of over 2 million cars. For the buyer, AutoTrader has research and comparison features, tips and advice, reviews, safety information, financing and insurance info, and guides to help you choose the right car. For the seller, AutoTrader has classified ads and value calculators to help you determine the proper asking price.
is a user-friendly site with an intuitive structure. It's broken down into four sections, labeled: buy, sell, research, and shopping advice. Cars.com makes it easy to find a used car in your area or get a price quote from a long list of local dealerships. They have detailed listings and plenty of articles to keep you informed.
is a car buying and research site with over half a million listings for new and used cars, and a variety of articles on issues related to the purchasing process. CarsDirect's interface is simple and easy to use. Check out the useful buying guides that break down the industry by body-type, explaining what cars excel over their competition and why.
is part of the Autobytel Web site network, which includes CarSmart and Cars.com. AutoWeb's listings differ from those previously mentioned in that they only advertise cars that are for sale by dealers. It provides research tools like Blue Book values, detailed vehicle reviews and summaries, and financing information, like free insurance and loan quotes.
is a car-buying information site that walks car buyers through the entire purchasing process. It has a large “Tips & Advice” section with information on buying, selling, leasing, financing, and more. Edmunds also has appraisal tools like the "true market value" price quotes, and reviews of new and used automobiles.
has new car price quotes, comprehensive used car listings, and reviews. The "Car Research" section takes users from early-stage research like checking invoice pricing reports and rebate/incentive programs, to more advanced features like payment calculators and loan quotes.
is a simple online used car classifieds hub. Cars can be searched by make, model, and year criteria, or by geography. The “Buying Tips” section walks you through a simple 5-step approach to buying a car.
Hobbyists, automotive technicians, and casual do-it-yourselfers will find the Web's auto parts and ... read more »
A number of sites contain information that can teach visitors about the basic systems and ... read more »
For classic car enthusiasts, the Web is a great forum for interacting with other collectors, ... read more »
Car blogs provide entertaining news through their unique editorials on the daily happenings of the ... read more »
In the interests of the greater good, an army of selfless, gas-price-scouting citizens have made ... read more »
Most Recent Guides