Fashion Designers: Diane von Furstenberg

March 13, 2008
by findingDulcinea Staff
Diane von Furstenberg, who guided the career women of the 1970s into a style that spoke both power and elegance, and is the current president of the Council of Fashion Designers of America.

Early Life and Career

The Wrap Dress

In 1973, Diane von Furstenberg would release the dress that would ensure her place in fashion merchandising textbooks. Inspired by the Japanese kimono, the von Furstenberg wrap dress was an interpretation of that easy-to-wear look, updated by free-flowing knits that went from workplace into the evening. At the age of 29 (and some five million dresses later), she was Newsweek’s November 1976 cover story. According to New York Magazine, von Furstenberg was “touted as the most marketable designer since Coco Chanel.” But when, inevitably, women decided that they didn’t need any more wrap dresses, her fashion house hovered near bankruptcy. In an interview with fashion magazine Harper’s Bazaar, Von Furstenberg said, “It all happened so fast, and I was so young. Everybody wanted a piece of me, and I didn't know who to say yes to and who to say no to.”

A Fashion Comeback

Most Recent Features